Monday, November 23, 2009

The word on Social Media

When this was all just idea that we were shooting around to eachother, we hadn't thought about how impactful it could potentially be - when combined with some of the different social media vehicles out there. Well, a month in and I must say that I'm intrigued (and eager to keep learning!).

Twitter: We're starting to tweet from e2wandback. The number of people that we can connect with is phenomenal. Last week, I ran a couple of google searches - "CPG brands twitter", "Food companies on twitter", etc - and the number of hits returned was pretty impressive. I started following a bunch of those hits, and will continue to do so. Check us out on twitter to see what we're up to... and follow us! I sent a couple of tweets out too - haven't heard anything back yet (granted, I did tweet Doug at Nature Valley and Angie at MountainDew - two big brands with a big following), but I will continue to drop tweets and see what comes up. Overall, a great way to make connections.

The Blog: Not much to say here - other than the fact that it's becoming quite the vice! Paul even started up his own blog soon after we got the ball rolling on this one. Check him out at saturdaymorningicedcoffee... We're trying to make this blog as userfriendly as possible - just this morning I reformatted the site so that it would display well at different screen resolutions, added a number of gadgets to the sidebard, and put up some quick links to what we're trying to & our profiles.

Facebook: We are all on Facebook - I'm going to figure out how to link our profiles to this site. As we put up posts, I am using TweetDeck to post up to e2wandback and to my status update simultaneously. Pretty cool, and it's generated a number of clickthroughs to the site.

Google Analytics: I guess this falls under social media. It's a cool tool that was sent my way from one of the Darden Student Bloggers - JulyDream. I'm actually kind of addicted to checking it - and it's going to work wonders in showing the reach of our voice to potential partners. It's basically a service that lets you see where you are getting hits from, how long people are staying on your site, number of hits, etc. Don't worry... it doesnt say WHO you are, it just tells us that we are getting seen. So far most people have come from the States, but we've had a visitor from Jordan, another from the UK, and one from Amsterdam.

Platial: I posted up about this earlier - check out the map at the bottom of this page. I downloaded the IPhone app for Platial - which is going to be huge when we're on our trip. A great way to do a quick geotag.

Blogger App: I'm sure this exists - in fact, I think I've seen it somewhere already. In between wireless hotspots we'll be using the IPhone to post up pics / our thoughts on the road. Who knows - maybe we'll me you and you'll be featured on the site!

E-Mail Signature: Ok, this one's a bit of a stretch, but we're adding our twitter & blog URL info to our email signatures... we're all about experimenting at this stage.

So, what else? How can we be more integrated? We will undoubtedly be learning more over the coming months, but if you've got any advice please post up a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment